- 1901 Census Website Official genealogy site of the Welsh & English census information for 1901.
- Archival Data Online Repository at the Data and Program Library Service of the University of Wisconsin at Madison. Direct access to datasets on population, budgets, consumption, among others.
- arkivalieronline.dk The Danish State Archives Filming Centre digitises parish registers and population censuses in order to make them accessible via the Internet.
- ASEP/JDS Bancos de Datos
- Association of Public Data Users General information.
- Australian Historical Census Data, 1966- At this point in time, the data that can be distributed under the agreement covers the data tables from the 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986 and 1991 censuses.
- Australian Social Science Data Archive at Australian National University.
- Beeldbank Gent
- Belgium Historical GIS Geographical historical statistics in Belgium 1800 - 1963/2003.
- Boedelbank van het Meertensinstituut Dutch Probate Inventories on the web.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Time series, economic surveys. Includes also National Income and Product Accounts. Downloadable annual and quarterly data from the US Bureau of Economic Analysis as of 1959, including graphs.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics of the US Department of Labor. Time series.
- CAPSA Database CAPSA's database provides statistical data focusing on secondary crops in Asia and the Pacific at national, provincial and district levels. Data currently available covers eight countries (Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Viet Nam).
- Catasto Study Census and Property Survey for Florentine Domains and the City of Verona in Fifteenth Century Italy / David Herlihy and Christiane Klapisch-Zuber.
- Catasto: Florentine tax data
Florentine Renaissance Resources: Online Catasto of 1427. Edited by David Herlihy, Christiane Klapisch-Zuber, R. Burr Litchfield and Anthony Molho.
- Census datasets The information about the UK Census of Population datasets is maintained by the ESRC/JISC funded Census Dissemination Unit (CDU), which forms part of the Manchester University-based MIMAS service.
- Census.ac.uk Census.ac.uk, home of the ESRC Census Programme, provides a one stop gateway to data and support services which allow users and researchers in UK Higher and Further Education to access the 1971, 1981, 1991 and 2001 UK censuses. It also provides access to other important census related resources.
- Centre d'Etudes Prospectives et d'Informations Internationales Working papers, databases, links.
- CESSDA The Council for European Social Science Data Archives CESSDA promotes the acquisition, archiving and distribution of electronic data for social science teaching and research in Europe. Directory, data portal.
- CESSDA Data Portal
- Danish Emigration Archives The Danish Emigration Archives in Aalborg, Denmark was established in 1932 to record the history of the Danes who emigrated and to maintain cultural bonds to those who have their roots in Denmark.
- Danish National Research Database
- Dansk Data Arkiv The Danish Data Archives (DDA) is a national data bank for researchers and students in Denmark and abroad.
- Dansk Demografisk Database at the Statens Arkiver. Censuses, Probate Index and Emigrants.
- Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS): the Dutch organization responsible for storing and providing permanent access to research data from the Humanities and Social Sciences. It incorporates the Steinmetz Archive for the social sciences and the Netherlands Historical Data Archive (NHDA), which were part of NIWI (Netherlands Institute for Scientific Information Services) from 1997 to 2005.
- Data hub "Heights and Biological Standard of Living" maintained by Jörg Baten at Tübingen University. Heights and the biological standard of living in Germany, The USA, Austria and France.
- Data sources for "Inequality among world citizens: 1820- 1992" by François Bourguignon and Christian Morrisson.
- Database of Irish Historical Statistics Recurrent statistics for Ireland for the nineteenth and twentieth centuries collected from a variety of printed census sources. At The Queen's University of Belfast.
- Deutsche Fotothek Dresden Das Online-Angebot der "Deutschen Fotothek" umfasst Bildmaterialien zur Technik-, Landes-, Kunst- und Architekturgeschichte, sowie eine digitale Bibliothek alter Drucke und Handschriften.
- Developing Country Export Statistics The data were collected from official statistics by John R. Hanson for his book Trade in Transition: Exports from the Third World, 1840-1900, New York: Academic Press, 1980.
- Digital South Asia Library
- Early Americas Digital Archive (EADA) The Early Americas Digital Archive (EADA) is a collection of electronic texts and links to texts originally written in or about the Americas from 1492 to approximately 1820. EADA is published and supported by the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH).
- Economic History Datadesk. Economic History of Latin America, United States and New World, 1500-1900 A scholarly web site devoted to current research with an emphasis on collection and analysis of historical datasets. Data data on commodity prices, mineral production, agricultural tithes, commercial traffic for Latin American Spanish and Portuguese colonies; United States data on gold and silver production with special reference to Nevada's Comstock; bullion flows from New World to Europe and Far East; Spanish royal treasury accounts from more than 70 branches in the Viceroyalties of Mexico and Peru, compiled by John TePaske, Herbert Klein et al.
- Economic Statistics of Korea 1700-2000 Under construction by the Naksungdae Institute of Economic Research. Online papers.
- Economic Time Series Page at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Data and charts for over 100,000 series, mainly from the US government.
- EH.Net Databases
- EH.Net Services EH.Net operates the Economic History Services web site and several electronic mailing lists to provide resources and promote communication among scholars in economic history and related fields. EH.Net is supported by the Economic History Association and other affiliated organizations: the Business History Conference, the Cliometric Society, the Economic History Society, and the History of Economics Society.
Links to Abstracts, Bibliographies, Book Reviews, Calendar, Course Syllabi, Databases, Directory, Encyclopedia, How Much Is That? and Mailing Lists.
- European State Finance Database at the University of Leicester. "Sources and data of European fiscal history and their interpretation".
- Federal Reserve Board - Statistical Releases Includes historical series of many of the data that are regularly released by the US central bank, among them those on assets and liabilities of commercial banks, foreign exchange rates, industrial production and capacity utilization, consumer credit etc.
- Federal Reserve Economic Data at the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis. Includes US historical data going back to the early 1950s.
- Finnish Social Science Data Archive The Finnish Social Science Data Archive (FSD) is a national resource centre for social science research and teaching. It started to operate in 1999 as a separate unit of the University of Tampere. FSD provides a wide range of services from data archiving to information services.
- Firmenarchiv Die Firmensammlung enthält Presseartikel, Geschäftsberichte und andere Materialien über deutsche und internationale Firmen sowie andere Institutionen. 75.000 Dokumente über 1400 Firmen können wir derzeit hier zur Verfügung stellen. (Leitarchiv HWWA)
- FRASER The Federal Reserve Archival System for Economic Research is a project by the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis to expand on its mission to provide economic information and data to researchers interested in the U.S. economy. On this web site you will find links to scanned images (in Adobe® Acrobat® PDF format) of historical economic statistical publications, releases, and documents.
- Global Price and Income History Group (GPIH) A Research Team measuring Prices, Incomes, and Economic Wellbeing around the World before 1950.
- Great Britain Historical GIS Programme This project is creating a Historical Geographical Information System (GIS) for Great Britain covering the period from the late 1830s, when modern statistical data collection can be said to have started, until the early 1970s, when data starts to become available in digital form. The GIS has two major components; accurate boundary data for the changing administaive areas of Britain linked to a major database of social, economic, and electoral statistics from throughout the period.
- Groningen Growth and Development Centre The Groningen Growth and Development Centre is developing a hub in the field of historical national accounting.
The GGDC data series consist of the:
- Total Economy Database (latest update September 2006)
- 60-Industry Database (latest update September 2006)
- Total Economy Growth Accounting Database
- Industry Growth Accounting Database (latest update September 2006).
- Historical Census Statistics on the Foreign-Born Population of the United States at the US Bureau of the Census. Working paper by Campbell J. Gibson and Emily Lennon (1999). Detailed tables.
- Historical Financial Research Data Sources Maintained by the Yale International Center for Finance.
- Historical Microdata around the World at the University of Tromsø. Links.
- Historical National Accounts The datahub on Comparative Historical National Accounts provides information on Gross Domestic Product, including an industry breakdown, for the 19th and 20th centuries. This dataset is a complement to Angus Maddison’s estimates of World GDP. It gives the user GDP estimates at current as well as constant prices, and presents more detailed estimates at an industry level. These data will enable researchers to analyse the process of economic growth and structural change in more detail. The construction of the database was supported by grants from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) and is coordinated by Jutta Bolt.
- Historical Sample of the Netherlands offers a representative sample of about 80 000 people born in the Netherlands during the period 1812-1922. It is a unique tool for research in Dutch history and demography.
- Historical Statistics on Banking at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Annual statistical information on the US banking industry beginning in 1934.
- Histpop - The Online Historical Population Reports Website
An online resource of almost 200,000 pages of all the published population reports created by the Registrars-General and its predecessors for England and Wales and for Scotland for the period 1801–1920.
- Histpop - The Online Historical Population Reports Website The Online Historical Population Reports (OHPR) collection provides online access to the complete British population reports for Britain and Ireland from 1801 to 1937.
The collection goes far beyond the basic population reports with a wealth of textual and statistical material which provide an in-depth view of the economy, society (through births, deaths and marriages) and medicine during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- Human capital hub of the CLIO-INFRA initiative As part of the CLIO-INFRA, the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration of the University of Debrecen has taken the initiative to set up this website on human capital data. Our mid-term plan is to extend the activities of the hub into an online community of Scholars working in this field, providing them with a forum and hosting their data and research papers. Our long-run plan is to create a comprehensive dataset on human capital with annual and historical data and a global coverage. The site provides data, papers and links. The hub is maintained by Péter Földvári and Bas van Leeuwen.
- Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques (INSEE). Some figures on French economy, most charged.
- Institute of Migration Institute of Migration aims to promote and carry out migration and ethnic research and to encourage the compilation, storage and documentation of material relating to international and internal migration in Finland.
- Institutions for collective action This website is dedicated to the study of institutions for collective action, or institutional arrangements that are formed by groups of people in order to overcome certain common problems over an extended period of time by setting certain rules regarding access to the group (membership), use of the resources and services the group owns collectively, and management of these resources and services. Such institutionalised forms of collective action differ from what is usually referred to as collective action, in the sense of large-scale mass movements that often can only make their point via riots, demonstrations or forms of mass violence (e.g. peasant revolts). Currently, this website deals only with types of institutions that originated far back in history, such as guilds, commons, waterboards and beguinages. In the future we will also include more recent examples of institutions for collective action.
- Integrated Public Use Microdata Series at the University of Minnesota. Census microdata for social and economic research.
- International Federation of Data Organizations Directory, catalogue.
- Israel Social Sciences Data Archive at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. General information, time series.
- List of Datafiles of Historical Prices and Wages List of datafiles available online, index to other websites containing statistical data, an overview of the value of the guilder from 1450 onwards with links to sites with the value of the US dollar (1665 onwards) and the British pound (1660 onwards)
- Lund University Macroeconomic and Demographic Database
- Medieval and Early Modern Data Bank (MEMDB). The project's aim is to provide scholars with an expanding library of information in electronic format on the medieval and early modern periods of European history, circa 800-1815. MEMDB contains five large data sets: three pertaining to currency exchanges and two pertaining to prices.
- Modern Inventors Documentation Program (MIND) The Lemelson Center and the National Museum of American History Archives Center established the Modern Inventors Documentation (MIND) Program to promote the advancement and diffusion of knowledge about American inventors.
The MIND Database identifies the locations and contents of invention-related archival materials in the United States.
- Monthly Statistics of Japan
- National Agricultural Statistics Service
- National Bureau of Economic Research: Data and Data Links NBER collection: macro data, industry, international trade, and other data.
- NBER Macrohistory Database During the first several decades of its existence, the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) assembled an extensive data set that covers all aspects of the pre-WWI and interwar economies, including production, construction, employment, money, prices, asset market transactions, foreign trade, and government activity. Many series are highly disaggregated, and many exist at the monthly or quarterly frequency. The data set has some coverage of the United Kingdom, France and Germany, although it predominantly covers the United States. For information see Improving the Accessibility of the NBER's Historical Data , by Daniel Feenberg and Jeff Miron. (NBER Working Paper #5186). Published in the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Volume 15 Number 3 (July 1997) pages 293-299.
- Netherlands Historical Data Archive (The Hague). Collections information.
- Norwegian Historical Data Centre The Norwegian Historical Data Centre (NHDC) is a national institution under the Faculty of Social Science at the University of Tromsø (UiTø). Main aim is to computerize the Norwegian censuses 1865 onwards together with the parish registers and other sources from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Oxford Latin American Economic History Database (OxLAD) is a free, downloadable, on-line resource for reliable, consistent, and comparable economic and social data series from 1900-2000 for 20 countries in Latin America. It is produced by the Latin American Centre of Oxford University.
- Pandora Australia's Web Archive Maintained by the National Library of Australia and Partners.
- Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID) The PSID is a nationally representative longitudinal study of nearly 8,000 US families. Following the same families and individuals since 1968, the PSID collects data on economic, health, and social behavior.
- Penn World Tables Time series data (since 1950) for over 150 countries.
- Reconstruction National Accounts of Holland 1500-1800 The aim of this project is to analyse the economic development of Holland in the early modern period on the basis of a reconstruction of its national accounts. It will be one of the first times the system of national accounts is applied to the study of a pre-industrial economy. The project is confined to the province of Holland, which was demographically and economically the most important part of the Northern Netherlands during this period.
- RGP Online The Rijks Geschiedkundige Publicatiën (RGP) is a series of source editions, the first volume of which was published in 1905. Today, the series comprises 450 volumes that contain documents about the history of the Netherlands.
The ING, The Hague is in the process of digitising the RGP series and has developed an application that makes it possible to browse the pages online. The online version aims, as far as possible, to be a faithful replica of the original edition. At the same time, efforts have also been made to exploit the new opportunities afforded by an electronic publication by making it possible to search the text and, where possible, adding clickable lists of contents and/or indices. More information about the approach that was selected can be found under explanation.
Since December 2007 137 volumes have been made available on the Internet (november 2009).
- Rotterdam-Antwerp. A century and a half of Port Competition The aim of this project was to investigate different variables that influence competition between these ports and their overall effect on cargo flows. In order to be able to determine the importance of these variables a large database was constructed containing the flow of cargo in both ports. This database is available for other researchers on maritime and port history, but can also be used for statistical analysis by economists and policy makers. The Antwerp database can be found at the Workshop in Quantitative Economic History site.
- Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Surveys examining the health and economic welfare of the Russian Federation.
- Scottish Economic History Database 1550-1780 Crop yields, demographic data, price and wage series, weather statistics.
- Slave Movement During the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries This site provides access to the raw data and documentation which contains information on the following slave trade topics from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries: records of slave ship movement between Africa and the Americas, slave ships of eighteenth century France, slave trade to Rio de Janeiro, Virginia slave trade in the eighteenth century, English slave trade (House of Lords Survey), Angola slave trade in the eighteenth century, internal slave trade to Rio de Janeiro, slave trade to Havana, Cuba, Nantes slave trade in the eighteenth century, and slave trade to Jamaica. At the Data and Program Library Service, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Soviet and Russian Economic Statistical Series at Hokkaido University. Different indexes, some of them going back to 1940.
- Sozio-ökonomisches Panel at the Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (Berlin). "A representative longitudinal study of private households in the entire Federal Republic of Germany" (1984-1997). Newsletter, bibliography etc.
- "Staat, Handwerk und Gewerbe in Peking, 1700-1900" Databases on materials, wages, and transport costs in public construction in the Qianlong Era for the Zhili Province and the Gansu Province.
- Staten Generaal Digitaal U vindt hier alle Handelingen (Kamerverslagen, Kamerstukken en Kamervragen) van het zittingsjaar 1900-1901 tot 1 januari 1995. Het complete materiaal vanaf 1814 wordt in de periode tot 2010 stap voor stap aan deze website toegevoegd. De Handelingen vanaf 1995 zijn digitaal beschikbaar via de website Parlando.
- Statistical Accounts of Scotland The two Statistical Accounts of Scotland, covering the 1790s and the 1830s, provide a rich record of a wide variety of topics: wealth, class and poverty; climate, agriculture, fishing and wildlife; population, schools, and the moral health of the people. A free service is available to all users with the basic features of searching, viewing and printing from the two Accounts.
- Statistics Bureau Director-General for Policy Planning & Statistical Research and Training Institute
- Statistik Austria
- Statistische Daten für Österreich Put on the web by the Wirtschaftskammern Österreichs.
- Statistisches Bundesamt Deutschland
- SVAR Swedish Archive Information Search for Swedish archive documents, scanned or on microfiche.
- Swedish Census 1890 A historical database over the Swedish population 1890.
- Swedish Social Science Data Service at the University of Göteborg. Demographic and census data, economic and political surveys, election studies, trade union data etc.
- Österreichisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (WIFO), maintains Economic Data Service.
- The Price History Group, Department of History, University of Copenhagen
- Trainbase TRAINBASE ist eine Datenbank zur Verkehrsgeschichte der Schweiz. Sie stellt die Digitalisierung ausgewählter Daten der Eisenbahnstatistik und der Verkehrsstatistik (Nachfolger) der Schweiz dar. Es wurden vorerst Daten aus den Jahren 1920-1982 aufgenommen.
- U.S. Customs House Data, 1854-59 Excel file detailing how much revenue was collected, how much was spent, and how many people were employed at each of 152 customs houses in the United States in the years 1854 through 1859. The data are for fiscal years ending on June 30. The source is a U.S. Treasury report to Congress.
- Uitgevaren voor de Kamers Database concerning the passengers and the crews of ships of the Dutch East Indian Company (VOC) which departed to the Dutch East Indies between 1700-1794. At present 50.000 names, all from the town of Delft, are available.
- UK Data Archive at the University of Essex. The UKDA also houses two specialist units: the History Data Service (HDS) and Qualidata and the Qualitative Data Service. It provides access to international data.
- UK National Digital Archive of Datasets at the University of London Computer Centre, in cooperation with the University of London Library and the Public Record Office. Archived digital data from UK government departments and agencies.
- US Census Bureau Special topics: Statistical Abstracts 1995-2001 (online) and Census 1930.
- US Historical Data on Bank Market Structure 1896-1955 by Mark Flood in Charlotte, NC. Downloadable data.
- viHistory with access to a searchable database of nominal census records for Vancouver Island and parts of mainland British Columbia from 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901.
- Vlaamse statistieken en surveyonderzoek
- World Values Survey The online data analysis website for the World Values Survey (WVS) and the European Values Study (EVS) contain the data from the four waves of the Values Surveys, carried out in 1981-84, 1980-93, 1989-1993 and 1999-2004.
- Zentralarchiv für Empirische Sozialforschung. The Central Archive archives primary material (data, questionnaires, code plans) and results of empirical studies in order to prepare them for secondary analyses and to make them available to the interested public.
Last updated 11 March 2011